Reusable Bamboo Sanitary Pad
The Ecological Impact of Feminine Hygiene Products
Close to 20 billion sanitary napkins, tampons, and applicators are dumped into North American landfills every year.
When wrapped in plastic bags, feminine hygiene waste can take centuries to biodegrade. The average woman uses over 11,000 tampons over her lifetime, leaving behind residue far beyond her lifespan.
This colossal waste burden, however, isn’t the only environmental impact of disposable feminine hygiene products. A year’s worth of a typical feminine hygiene product leaves a carbon footprint of 5.3 kg CO2 equivalents.
Over 50% of the world’s population menstruates, and yet conversations about feminine hygiene and the ecological impact of product choices women make in the space weren’t spoken about. In fact, the taboo surrounding menstrual periods stunted the development of new products in the space with little to no innovations for over 80 years.
Ultimately, driven by profit motives, it seems unlikely the major companies would shift towards a reusable product line. Menstrual cups, reusable pads, and sponges are readily available but haven’t gained much traction so far.
Reasons to switch to a reusable menstrual pad:
Good for your body (and soul)
Conventional disposable products can contain plastics, artificial fragrances, adhesives, and chemical gels--things you don't want next to one of the most sensitive parts of your body!
By choosing our reusable Bamboo Menstrual Pads you will get comfortable periods free from irritating materials and avoiding unnecessary exposure to the synthetic ingredients in disposable pads and tampons.
One of the lesser-known benefits of switching to reusable menstrual products is the period positivity that comes along with it. The menstrual cycle is a healthy and natural process. Many of us grow up believing that it's a messy inconvenience or, worse, a disgusting disease-like condition. The embarrassment or shame we feel about our periods is often a result of negative cultural conditioning. Fortunately, many of us have experienced profound positive transformations in our feelings toward our menstrual cycles after switching to organic, reusable menstrual pads.
2. Good for your budget
Reusable menstrual pads are made to last for three years, but many of our customers report that their pads have lasted much longer--some are 20+ years old and still going strong!
It can seem like the reusable bamboo pads cost more than disposables, but they actually are much more economical when compared to the cost of disposable products over your lifetime. The average American woman uses 11,000 to 16,000 disposables in her lifetime. If she's buying boxes of 20 tampons or pads at $5 per box, she'll spend upwards of $3,000... on trash.
It's kind of like equipping your kitchen with ceramic plates: it would be tremendously expensive (not to mention wasteful!) to continuously purchase disposable paper plates, so we buy plates that we can use indefinitely. We make an initial investment into something reusable that will last a long time, and that we'll get more enjoyment out of. It's the same idea with the reusable menstrual pads!
3. Good for the planet
Remember the 12,000 to 16,000 disposable pads, pantyliners, and tampons the average menstruator will use in a lifetime? That's a lot of waste! Plus, think of the manufacturing, shipping, and packaging impact over the years. Reusable pads last for years, helping you keep your environmental footprint small and saving you from monthly trips to the store.
- Material: 100% soft bamboo fiber with a super absorbent, odor neutralizing Charcoal Fiber layer that won't show stains + Microfiber
- High quality soft and absorbent microfiber for a dry feeling
- Washable cloth menstrual pads
- Product Life Time: 3-5 Years
- Size: 1Size: Approx. 25 * 18cm / 9.8 * 7.1inch
- Zero Side effects
- Comfortable, no foreign body sensation
- Healthy: simply organic, does not contain bleach
- Safe: its inner layer is leak proof
- Easy to clean: rinse in cold water, machine wash, and just dry
- We will send you mixed colors
How to wash and dry?
1. Please wash it before using it the first time.
2. If there are stains on it, you can add a little salt in cold or warm water (do NOT use hot water as this can set any stains). You can wash it by hand or put it in the washing machine. If you are not planning to wash right away, you can soak your cloth menstrual pad or let them dry until your next laundry.
3. Airdry them. Do not iron use bleach or fabric softener, because it can reduce the service life of menstrual pads, harmful to the body at the same time.